Re: Dogs fighting

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 19, 2003 at 14:35:21

In Reply to: Dogs fighting
Category:   
Posted by:  Chris Hotchkiss
Posted on:  February 16, 2003 at 22:29:42

Question:

: I would like to thankyou for previous advice on your dogs, I have a 7yr old fem jack, who is a dream no bark no bite no chew. we where lucky. adopted a 4.5 mo old male jack from shelter who is almost the same size as our fem, anyhow we have had some issue`s and we are dealing, but the one major one is their pressitance on playing and at times all out fight, in which the youngest one will not stop trying to attack the older I mean its unbelievable, sharp little teeth ripping at her and you yell and pull them apart force him to sit but he still keeps attacking, i know its their breeding but my wife has got hurt seperating them. they have harness`s on just so we can get them apart. i am sorry but i am being honest in order to get the best advice. we let them play thinking the older one will take care of business then we have a war, and I dont believe in hitting animals but i just dont know how to stop this madness they fight for treats food affection or nothing 24/7. its getting on our nerves and we want to give this young guy every chance to be in a good home lots of walks a yard treats chews and love.
: help
: thank you in advance
: Chris and Tania

Response:

Hi Chris,

Sometimes you just have to keep dogs separated period. If this new dog isn't neutered I suggest you get him neutered and if I am reading this right he is 4 months old or 4 years old. If it's months it's pretty unusual for a pup this age to show this type of aggression. The sooner he's neutered the better off he'll be and it might help to lessen this aggression.

I would also contact the shelter and ask if they have the name of a behaviorist that might be able to help you with this. Aggression is nothing to play with and needs experienced people to help you deal with this.

I am glad to hear you are not hitting him because that just increases the level of aggression in an already aggressive dog.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help here Chris, but this type of problem is not a quick fix nor can it be totally tackled via a message board.

I am providing several links for you to read though and please try to get some professional help for this.

Regards,
Marie

Dealing w/ Aggression FAQ, Aggression FAQ, Getting a 2nd Dog FAQ