• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Re: result of fixing will it chamge personality?

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 26, 2003 at 15:46:42

In Reply to: result of fixing will it chamge personality?
Category:   Other
Posted by:  GOPIKA AWATRAMANI
Posted on:  February 26, 2003 at 15:40:21

Question:

: I have a 6 month old male terrier, we are planning to have him fixed next week. Ihave heard that fixing a male dog changes his personality. Is this true?? My terrier is wonderful! energetic but not too aggresive and always wants to play. I also have a female terrier she is going to be fixed as well so could you please give me some much needed advice. Also will he stop marking his territory afetr he is fixed?
: Thank you,
: Sincerely Gopika Awatramani

Response:

Hi Gopika,

Great to hear you are spaying and neutering your dogs! This is one of the best things you can do for your friends, not only for health reasons but for companionship reasons.

Usually spaying and neutering your dogs only makes their personalities better, because the issue of sex and how to get it is no longer in the picture. It keeps males from roaming looking for females in heat, keeps them from fighting and makes them just nicer to be around. Spaying a female keeps her from getting in heat, you don't have to deal with the mess, and you don't have to worry about unwanted pregnancies among many other health issues that deal with intact females.

If your male terrier is already marking, it should help to lessen this behavior (after the male hormones dissipate) but you will probably still have to do some retraining.

I am providing you a link to read that discusses the pros of spaying and neutering.

Regards,
Marie

Additional Reading: Spay/Neuter FAQ