Re: Pooping too much?

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  April 01, 2003 at 19:02:05

In Reply to: Pooping too much?
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Karen
Posted on:  April 01, 2003 at 00:29:19

Question:

: I just recently changed my 5 month old jacks food to Innova. I thought the better the quality of the food the smaller the stools are, but since I've switched my pup goes like 4 times a day, 3 times average. Previously with his other brand (Purina One) he went twice. What could be wrong? He's perfectly healthy, active as can be. Is it that puppys just poop a lot? I increased the amount of food I give to him because of his growth spurt. Could that be the cause for many number two runs? I'm just curious as to why this would happen? Is it that better quality food results in smaller stools is not necessarily true? I'm thinking that it's because he's been really active lately, maybe his metabolism increased. Any answers would be appreciated.

Response:

Dear Karen,

Bless your heart -- you've answered your own question! An increase in the amount of food will naturally increase the amount of waste, especially when the terrier is being over-fed. Also, a "recent" change in diet can cause digestive problems and should not be considered normal.

It can take up to 6-8 weeks for a dog to show the results of being fed a premium diet. I suggest you back off over-feeding your pup and be patient regarding the results.

Regards,
Leslie