Re: extremely aggressive only to neighborhood dog

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  April 02, 2003 at 21:46:17

In Reply to: extremely aggressive only to neighborhood dog
Category:   
Posted by:  Adrienne L.
Posted on:  April 02, 2003 at 16:25:24

Question:

: My JRT is a three-year old female, perfect in every way except.....there are two dogs that live in our neighborhood that she simply cannot stand. She acts like she wants to kill these dogs (one is a miniature schnauzer, the other a maltese.) Every time they are outside she goes crazy barking/yipping and nothing can stop her. On the (thankfully) rare occasions she manages to slip out our door unleashed, she heads right to one of the other dogs' houses and starts attacking the front door! My JRT and these dogs have not met let alone had a previous confrontation (and I'm too worried to introduce them now!) I thought the problem might be small dogs (she definately prefers the big ones) but when we are on walks or at the park and encounter small dogs, she is fine and friendly. She just does not like these two dogs in our neighborhood and I don't know why. She gets along with all other dogs in the neighborhood and is hardly ever aggressive when meeting new dogs outside of our neighborhood. Is there anything I can do about her behavior? Thank you.

Response:

Dear Adrienne,

Our terriers show some major league hostility toward two neighborhood dogs -- one is a bassett hound and the other is an Akita. Rex (the hound) is owned by an ignorant owner who thinks it's "funny" to tease our terriers by encouraging his dog to approach our fence and then yank him away. All the Akita needs to do is to walk calmly by her owner's side past our house for our terriers to go bonkers.

Sometimes, there is no "why" to explain the behavior and even if there is, that doesn't mean we can do anything about it. The best we can do is to protect our pets from themselves and by doing so, also protect our neighbors' pets.

Take care,
Leslie