Re: aggression and bad behavior

Posted by:  Jane Colvin
Posted on:  April 14, 2003 at 19:02:47

In Reply to: aggression and bad behavior
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Nancy Mathias
Posted on:  April 13, 2003 at 14:22:00

Question:

: I have two JRT male and female both neutered. My daughter is sending me,Ike, her JRT (male) not neutered. He is aggesive to her other dogs, one is a police dog (Bloodhound). They can't keep him any longer. My two are well behaved, I live on a horse farm so there is alot of room for exercise. I figure I will have him neutered for starters. Ike is just coming up to be a year old. What would you suggest for me to do to intergrate Ike into our family?

Response:

Hi Nancy,

With Ike being aggressive towards her other dogs, it's likely that he may be the same with your dogs. I would definitely get him neutered as soon as possible though.

If possible I would introduce the dogs on neutral turf and not in your home. Introduce one at a time and have both dogs on a leash so you are in control of the situation. There is an FAQ that I will post below and you can also search the internet to find sites regarding introducing a new dog.

It's wonderful that you are willing to take him in and I do hope it works, I just wanted to mention that if he is truly dog aggressive that you may have the same problems at your home as your daughter is having.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for all of you! :o)

Jane

Additional Reading: Getting a 2nd Dog FAQ