Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  May 02, 2003 at 08:19:45

In Reply to: growth on dog
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Denise Rick
Posted on:  May 01, 2003 at 18:43:34

Question:

: Hi.
: My almost 3 year old male Jack Russell is in perfect shape. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a small pea sized lump or growth on his butt. At first my husband and I thought it was an ingrown hair or pimple. We tried to squeeze it but it would not drain or pop. I brought him to the vet today since it has been getting larger over the last week and our vet says he needs surgery to have it removed. I can not remember what kind of growth he said it was, but he believes that it will not go away on its own and that it is either a pricker or something in his butt that has caused infection or that it could be cancerous. He said a biopsy needs to be done and we will get the results in about a week. Needless to say I am EXTREMELY worried. Has anyone ever had anything similar happen to their JR's. I am curios if cancer is common in them and what the odds may be that he is ok.

Response:

Hi Denise,

I can understand your concern, I just recently went through a health scare with one of my terriers.

Sometimes dogs end up with lumps and bumps. The good news is usually at his age they end up being harmless. :) Your vet is just doing what they do, and that is being cautious.

One of my terriers developed a lump/wart at the base of one of his ears when he was about a year old. It was removed and biopsied and it was harmless, I bet your dog's will be too.

Let us know the results!

Hang in there and try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know),
Marie