• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Male JRT and Male Chow Chow

Posted by:  Mark Tillson
Category:   Aggression
Posted on:  May 08, 2003 at 10:11:21

Question:

I have read almost all of the questions and answers regarding same sex aggression in the JRT, but I feel that it can't be addressed too much. I have a male JRT named Louie. He is almost 5 years old and has not been neutered. One of my roommates has a male Chow Chow/Lab mix who is 3 years old and not neutered. Until recently, they have tolerated and in fact enjoyed each other's company. Separately, they are well behaved and obedient animals. However, last night, there was a HUGE fight. I would have let them establish who was the boss, but they are both known to be aggressive breeds. I had to break it up due to the fact that the Chow had the JRT in his mouth and was shaking him violently. Louie sustained some cuts and hurt feelings, but never once gave in to the Chow. So my question is, at this point, realistically, would it help to have them neutered? I absolutely plan on doing it, this week in fact, but, will this aleviate some of the aggression? They have remained separated since the fight. This morning, I let one dog out to do his business and then let the other out. When they passed each other in the hallway, it was evident that they are both holding a grudge. It was all I could do to keep them apart again. Should I go about looking for a good home for one of the dogs? Is it too late to modify this behavior? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Mark