Re: From sleeping in the bed to the crate

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  May 10, 2003 at 01:12:03

In Reply to: From sleeping in the bed to the crate
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Dave
Posted on:  May 09, 2003 at 14:00:55

Question:

: We got Rex in early Feburary, and he's been sleeping with me and my gf at night. I think we realized our mistake and would like to gradually get him to sleep in his crate.

: Currently, we recently moved from an apartment to a 2 story house. I keep him in his crate downstairs in the kitchen during the day. Should I move his crate upstairs to the bedroom? Right now he gets up at around 4am to go potty, and I'm afraid I wont hear him whine.

: Also, do I just ignore him when I put him in his crate at night? I feel bad that I leave him in his crate from 7:30a to 11:30a then 12:30p to 4:30p when I get home, then again at night from 10p to 6a.

: Please help :)

Response:

Dear Dave,

Since Rex is used to sleeping "with" you I suggest that his crate should be in your bedroom at night. By keeping him close by your side of the bed, you can hear him whine and then easily soothe him back to sleep or take him outside to go potty if he won't be soothed. When Rex is able to hold it all night, you can move his crate away from your bedside and then eventually teach him to snuggle into his own bed at night.

I understand that you feel bad about crating Rex at night after he's been crated during the day and suggest you don't worry about it. I have found that the "quality" of the attention we give our terriers often has a greater effect on them then the "quantity." :-)

Warm regards,
Leslie