Canine Eye Registration Foundation (CERF)
CERF was founded by a group of concerned purebred owner/breeders with a goal of eliminating heritable eye diseases in purebred dogs through registration, research, and education.
CERF is dedicated to educating the public on matters involving canine eye disease. It provides a variety of reports to help educate owner/breeder on heritable eye disease questions, healthy breeding stock, and breed-specific eye problems.
The Genetics Committee of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists lists Lens Luxation and Cataracts in its Occular Disorders Presumed to be Inherited in Purebred Dogs for the Jack Russell Terrier.
Occurrence of a defect can not be anticipated in a given terrier, and the age of onset of the disorder(s) varies from quite early (less than one year of age) to several years of age. The JRTCA Breeder's Committee is urging terrier owners to have their Jack Russell's CERF tested yearly. Don't be fooled into waiting for a symptom of an eye problem. Many times there are none. Early detection and reporting is important to the future of the Jack Russell Terrier.
CERF Certification Process
- Go to a board-certified canine ophthalmologist for the CERF exam
- The CERF form is completed by the doctor
- one copy for you
- one copy for examining vet
- one copy for CERF
- Test results are sent to CERF for inclusion in its database
- Fill out the reverse side of your copy
- Enclose check and mail to CERF
- CERF will send you a registration certification number in a few weeks
- Keep certificate with your dog's portfolio with pedigree, JRTCA registration, and BAER test readout
- Your name and your dogs name will be added to the list of certified dogs for that year. At year's end, the list is sent to all CERF members.
The official certificate (along with your BAER results) shows that you have made every effort to insure that your breeding stock is healthy and sound.
To register your dog with CERF or to have your canine eye health questions answered, contact CERF at:
1242 Lynn Hall
W. Lafayette, IN 47907
(765) 494-9981 (fax)